Remote Area Border Crossing Permit
In order to enter into Canada you must have a Remote Area Border Crossing Permit. This permit is only for residents of Canada and the United States and can only be used in designated areas such as the wilderness border of the Boundary Waters and Quetico Park.

The permit is good for one year and takes 3-6 weeks to be processed. Please allow plenty of time for mailing. A $30.00 Non-Refundable Processing Fee payable by Visa, Mastercard or Discover is due at the time of application. Applications can be found at this website.

An entire family can be listed on the same permit as long as the applicant’s spouse or partner has been living with the applicant for one or more years. Their dependent children under 22 years of age as well as any adopted children may be listed with legal proof of adoption.

If you have been convicted of a felony such as driving while under the influence or if you are not a citizen of Canada or the United States then you will not be granted a RABCP. You may go to this website to find out more information about being granted a pardon.

More information can be found at this website.

Passport, Passport Card or One of the Following
Since 2009 U.S. citizens returning home from Canada are required to present one of these travel documents: US Passport, US Passport Card, Enhanced Driver’s License or Trusted Traveler Program Card. 

A Passport Card will allow you to travel to and from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and some of the Caribbean. It is less expensive than a Passport and takes approximately 3 weeks to process. It is good for 10 years for an adult and 5 years for a minor under the age of 16; just like a Passport. The cost for a minor to apply is $35.00 and the cost for a first-time adult applicant is $45.00. If you already have a passport and wish to purchase a Passport Card then the cost is only $20.00.

You can find where to apply for a passport online at this website.

To save time and trouble at the issuing agency be sure to read over information from this website: Special documentation is needed to apply and when applying for your children they must be present with you.

If you are a U.S. or Canadian citizen under the age of 16 then you will need to present the original or copy of your birth certificate, or other proof of citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card in order to apply for a passport.

Groups of U.S. and Canadian children ages 16 through 18, when traveling with a school or religious group, social organization, or sports team, will be able to enter under adult supervision with originals or copies of their birth certificates or other proof of citizenship.

You can return to the United States from Canada via a watercraft with or without an I-68. An I-68 is valid for one year and costs $16.00 for an individual or $32.00 for a family. If you have an I-68 and are returning from Canada you can call to check in with a Customs Officer. If you do not have an I-68 then you must stop and check-in in person.

Customs is the I-68 issuing agency and the Border Patrol is the enforcement agency. Any and all questions concerning issuance of the I-68 should be directed to, Customs and Border Protection, Pigeon River Port of Entry (218) 475-2244 or 217-475-0060.

From May through October the Coast Guard Station in Grand Marais, MN will hold the Office of Field Operations. The office will be open from 9-5pm with 1-2 people on staff. People with an I-68 will call this office upon returning from Canada. This will also be where people can stop and apply for the I-68. A passport or passport card will be necessary to apply for an I-68.

You may also apply for an I-68 anywhere there is an International Port of Entry such as an International Airport. More information about the I-68 may be found at this website.

Quetico Provincial Park
Permits are required to enter the Quetico Provincial Park beginning around mid-May and ending around mid-September. Permits can be reserved five months in advance of the start date of your trip. If you are planning to enter the Quetico Park on Jun 17th, then your permit can be reserved on January 17th. Information can be found online and permits may also be reserved online. For information about the Quetico Park you can phone them at 1-888-668-7275.

When reserving a permit to enter the Quetico Park you will need a credit card for a deposit of $112.00; $13 of which is the reservation fee and $100.00 of which is credited towards your overnight camping fees. The overnight camping fees for adults are $21.47 and for youth ages 6-17 it is $8.48. For more information about rates you can visit the Park website. Be sure to look at the non-resident rates for entry from the south through Cache Bay.

Crownland of Canada
The Canadian side of Saganaga and other lakes and camping areas to the East of the Quetico Park are considered the Queen’s Land of Canada or Crownland. In order to camp in this region a Crownland Camping Permit is required for each night in the wilderness. Please let us know if you will be requiring these as we must obtain them prior to your arrival. The cost is around $10.57/person/night. For more information about Crownland camping visit their website.

Fishing in Canada
Since 2009 anglers are required to purchase an Outdoors Card. These cards are valid for three years and are available where fishing licenses are sold for a cost of around $12.00. You can find out more about the Outdoors Card at this website.

Canadian Licenses are most easily purchased online prior to your trip.

Non-Residents age 18 and older must purchase a fishing license and outdoor card. People 17 and under may purchase a license and outdoor card if they wish to possess their own limit of fish. However, if they do not wish to have their own limit then they may fish under the license of an adult in the group with their fish counting as part of the adult limit. Five or more youth ages 17 and younger may purchase a group fishing license as long as an adult in the group has a license.

There are two main types of fishing licenses to choose from in Canada. The Sportfishing License Tag and the Conservation License Tag. If you plan to mainly catch and release then the conservation license is the best choice.

When fishing in Canada you may not bring any live minnows, crayfish or leeches into Canada. You must purchase bait from a Canadian business. It is unlawful to empty bait containers including the water into any Canadian water: This must be done away from the water. Crawlers are an invasive species so use extreme caution and do not let them get onto the bare ground even if you think they are dead. You may find all of the fishing regulations on this website.

Voyageur's Guarantee

We promise to make your participation with Voyageur a success. Please let us know if any part of your experience, which was under our control, did not meet your satisfaction. We will make it right for you!