Wilderness permits are required to enter the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness for both day use and overnight trips. Voyageur can reserve and issue your wilderness entry point permit for your visit to the BWCAW. Be sure to plan ahead as the USFS limits the number of permits allowed to enter each entry point into the wilderness. There is a fee to reserve permits as well as a user fee for overnight camping.  Feel free to call us for more information or find more information about Boundary Waters permits online.  More Permit Information Here

All individuals entering the Boundary Waters are required to watch the three informational videos below. 


Please feel free to call or email us with any other questions you may have. 218-388-2224

How do I determine a route that is right for me? Voyageur’s experienced staff has paddled the routes in both the BWCAW and Quetico Park. We can help you determine the perfect route for your trip by asking you a few questions to determine what the main objectives of your canoe trip are. We are always willing to speak to you about a route and you can call us at 218-388-2224. The other option is to use our awesome trip route planner. This program has a large database of trips to choose from and gives immediate results. You answer a few questions and then it will give you route options depending upon your answers, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Why should I choose to paddle with Voyageur Canoe Outfitters? Voyageur Canoe Outfitters is located at the end of the Gunflint Trail, 56 miles from the nearest town. You are already in the wilderness when you begin your trip up the Trail. There are fewer people who visit the BWCAW from the Gunflint so it tends to be more remote than other locations. Our love of the wilderness and pride in what we do makes us the best outfitter around. We live up here year round, paddle the wilderness waters and are extremely knowledgeable about canoe camping and fishing. We have an excellent facility and an awesome staff that provides a one-of-a-kind outfitting experience. We are also the only outfitter to guarantee your satisfaction. 

Do I need to reserve a permit to enter the Quetico or BWCAW? Permits are required to enter both the BWCAW and Quetico Park. There are special regulations regarding both parks including a group size limit of 9 people per party. If you have more than 9 people then you need to break up into two or more groups. Voyageur Canoe Outfitters can take care of all of the necessary permits needed for your canoe trip. Just give us a call at 218-388-2224, give us the information and we can make your reservation.

What is the difference between the BWCAW & Quetico Park? The Quetico Park is located in Canada and allows fewer people to enter than does the BWCAW. There are not designated campsites or latrines at the sites. The Quetico has an overnight camping fee/person and requires a Remote Area Border Crossing Permit. The BWCAW is located in Minnesota and has designated campsites with latrines and firegrates. There are more permits available to travel in the BWCAW and these are easier to obtain than permits for Quetico.

How do I know what entry points Voyageur services? Voyageur Canoe Outfitters offers its outfitting services to all entry points on the Gunflint Trail. We have two entry points into the BWCAW right from our dock; Seagull Lake #54 and Saganaga Lake #55. Feel free to call us to find out which other entry points are close by.  We also have access from our dock into the Quetico Park via Cache Bay and can arrange fly-in wilderness trips as well.

Should I choose the Complete Outfitting Package or bring my own gear? Unless you have all of your own top of the line equipment I would go with the complete outfitting package we provide.  We use the best equipment and keep it maintained for our guests’ use. Everything is packed for you and ready to go when you arrive, no need to fuss at home with trying to find your pack you used as a scout 17 years ago! Our complete package includes trip routing, a stay in a private bunk and a hot pancake breakfast in the morning. The best part of the package is that when you return from your trip with the equipment wet and dirty, we take care of it and you go on your way. More information about the variety of outfitting packages can be found on on the complete outfitting page.

I’m afraid I won’t like the food, should I pack my own? The menu Voyageur Canoe Outfitters offers is like none other. We have tested all the freeze-dried entrees prior to putting them on our menu.  Be sure to check it out for yourself. Since the BWCAW and Quetico do not allow cans or bottles it is difficult to pack food for a canoe trip.There is always more than enough food and it is of the best quality.

Is the Kevlar canoe the best one for wilderness travel? The type of watercraft you choose to use on your wilderness trip depends upon the type of trip you are planning on taking and the level of experience your paddlers have. The Kevlar canoes tend to be less stable because they are narrower and have a rounder bottom so they travel faster through the water. They are lighter and easier to portage than a traditional aluminum or royalex canoe. Both the royalex and aluminum canoes have a flatter bottom for better stability. They are heavier but sturdier than a Kevlar canoe. The aluminum canoe has a keel and is easiest to steer for the beginner. A kayak is another option but is more difficult to portage than canoes. You can try the different types of canoes out at Voyageur before your trip.

I have more questions about my possible canoe trip, what should I do? Mike, Sue and the Voyageur Crew are available to answer your questions at 218-388-2224.  You can also find answers to most of your questions by searching our extensive website or by checking out our site map for the topic you are interested in. Once you have booked your completely outfitted canoe trip package with Voyageur, we  will send you valuable information regarding your wilderness canoe camping trip.

Voyageur's Guarantee

We promise to make your participation with Voyageur a success. Please let us know if any part of your experience, which was under our control, did not meet your satisfaction. We will make it right for you!